Monday, February 1, 2010

Training For the Winter/Spring Racing- My Perspective


Green Bank Telescope, WV



As the spring racing season approaches, many folks have started to ramp up their mileage, in preparation for Cooper River Bridge run, half and full marathons. After a slow start last fall, I felt that I had reached my peak later in the fall season. However, my fitness had steadily soared during the months of December and January. I now feel ready to tackle Myrtle Beach HM.
I cannot believe how fast these months went by. It seems that just yesterday we were getting ready for the holidays, while trying to build a solid base. Two weeks ago I was in the WV Mountains, trying to get my 16 miles in, struggling with the 2000 ft ascent, and feeling slow as molasses on the uphill. It was during that time when I began to wonder how in the whole world I am going to make it to the finish line in Boston.
Fortunately, I have been surrounded by people who motivate me every day, who train through rain, bitter cold (at least for us, it is cold), and wind. Two weekends ago, Rusty and Annie have joined me on a great progression run, and I thank them for being such great companions. Thanks, Rusty, I don’t know if I could have done it without your support and encouragement!

Yesterday we ran a 16 miler, fighting the wind and challenging weather conditions. Thanks to Gordon, John and Trevor, we’ve cranked out a good pace at the end. It felt great (of course, nobody could catch John, who took off during the last 6, leaving us in the dust!). But Trevor and I also sped up, running a solid pace, and averaging 8:01 /mile for the entire run. Not too shabby, thinking that a year ago, the crowd was about 1 min/mile slower (well, maybe this applies only to me). So, progress has been made, and I hope it will continue like this for everyone.

I thank again our group of dedicated people, folks who are fun to be around, and provide motivation when times are tough. I wish everyone good luck and excellent weather conditions for next weekend. “Save the light” HM is looming on the horizon!

6 comments:

RT said...

Thank YOU, Cami, for your great perspective, encouragement during all our runs, and keeping out group solid, growing, and getting faster. All in our group have kept me motivated! Thank you! i'm proud of all of you who braved Sunday morning...while i chose a warmer avoidance pathway!

Have a GREAT run Saturday at Save The Light to all running. Will be running in Irvine, CA this Sunday, but hope to catch up with you all next week.

Mike G said...

Hi there - I am new to the Charleston area and would love to meet you sometime. I moved from the west coast where I ran 3 marathons last year - the most recent being the Portland Marathon in october which was a blast. I live in West Ashley and am going to try that Sunday morning long run that the Charleston Running Club does - hope to see you there?

sldotter said...

Rusty are you going to run the same time we do? You sure better no sleepig in for you! As a group this year our times have gotten pretty quick amazing what consistency can do. I hope to get back to running like I used to. So far 32 days running in a row.

JM said...

Mike G - We'd love to have you join us. Our Sunday Group run info is in the top right hand column of this blog. Hope to see you Sunday morning.

Mike G said...

Sounds good!

Gordon Nicholson said...

Great Post!

Agree 100%...Last sunday was a great run. Best of luck @ MB Half and Boston!