Sunday, May 16, 2010

Every Marathon you learn!

No doubt I'm disappointed but it was nice to be home. The weather was a little warm but no humidity. Felt good the first 15k but cramped a little before the half. After the half point I actually started feeling strong and tried to make up some time. Things were going well till about mile 21 when a bicyclist ran into me on the bike path going the wrong way! I tried to not let it get to me but about another mile down the bike path yet another cyclist collided with me! I was physically fine just kinda weirded out frankly...note to race organizers - need more marshalls. Once I got on the main drag I dug in but mile 24 and 25 were tough. Realized the PR was ticking away right when I saw my family but nothing was in the tank - ran about a minute slower than PR. Not the best race but sometimes coming home makes you realize there are more important things than a PR! Decided it's time to try to speed up on halfs, 10k's, and 5ks's before going for my 6th marathon. See everyone in next Sunday

5 comments:

RT said...

Hi Gordon and congratulations. Despite the frustrations, 'learning experiences", and inexplicable double bike infractions, one minute 'slower' than your PR on a tough course like that is very good. Overall, a very successful marathon.

Travel safe and will catch up this week - we'll continue to work toward more efficient half, 10K, and 5Ks. Call if you have time to run at HSC.

JM said...

A strong marathon performance, especially considering the double dimwit cyclists. Each marathon is a learning experience to be sure. See you next Sunday. Can't wait to hear about it.

sldotter said...

Congrats Gordon! You are picking up quite the number of marathons next you will need two hands to show how many! See you next week after I got trashed this morning on my first long run in a while.

Swaz said...

Damn cyclists ;) No worries, man - another one for the experience file - maybe take a look at nutrition as well as speed ?

I'm not going to run for a wee while - left ankle is a bit iffy following several turns at Enoree.

Cami said...

Gordon, as everyone said, we all learn from these experiences. Use this in a positive way; try to stay away from cyclists for a while, and then get back at it again. Damn those cyclists.

Come back safe, and I will see you soon! My legs still felt like rubber today when I attempted to run faster; many thanks to the group for their willingness to help me pace a bit through those 5 min.