Saturday, October 16, 2010

Puns and Entendres galore

I started right behind the fast brothers, Upchuck and Waltz, looking resplendent in their matching "On The Run" outfits, in perfect conditions at the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure on Daniel Island on Saturday morning.  Regretfully, although perfectly legal, drafting is of little use on foot, and my usual 5k tactic of "start as fast as you can and try to hang on" paid it's usual dreadfully disappointing dividends as I wouldn't see our Tuesday evening friends for dust once the first fleeting fifteen seconds had passed....

I did manage to stay in front of the remarkably rapid Romanian for almost a whole mile before that significant achievment proved equally fleeting...my pulse rate monitor sounding like the dive klaxon onboard a submarine as Cami sped past me on her way to the Masters title in 20:13

The weatherman won (again) in 15:06, with Jay just beating Karl to the line in 15:39 for second.  I was really impressed, however, with the effort the various running teams had made as shirts with clever slogans such as "Save the Ta Tas"; "The breast team";  "Mamas know breast";  "Save our magazines" (with appropriate pin-up pictures); "Breast foot forward"; "The Rack Pack"; and my particular favourite: "Stop the war in Our Rack". 

The cute pink socks I borrowed off the wife seemed rather pitiful in comparison to such clever entendres - still at least I would manage to beat the 21 minute mark - or so I thought until I checked out the results on line....
                                      ......curses........21:01

1 comment:

Gordon Nicholson said...

Great post Swaz...you are officially the running groups play by play guy!