Monday, December 14, 2009

Gale Force Marathon

Hats off to a hardy Kiawah crowd, who had to brave tough conditions this past Saturday. Gordon, Rusty, Ricky and the Swaz put in some stellar performances in spite of rain, low temps, and high wind speeds. Gordon improved his last year's performance by 5 minutes. Ricky captured 2nd place in his age group. And Swaz cranked out a 3:22. (no one will notice my edit) Well done.

General Question for the group: What's coming up on our respective race calendars? I need to clean up our column on the right. I'm planning on running Save the Light. Who's doing Myrtle Beach, North Charleston Half, Charlie Post?

8 comments:

Gordon Nicholson said...

Congrats to Swaz as well! It was great to see everyone out there...the wind made things interesting - almost had a PR!
I'm in for STL,CP, and may go to Atlanta for ING half and Mississauga full!

JM said...

Sorry for my faux pas, Swaz. I've made the proper corrections.

Swaz said...

Wot's with all the BOLD PRINT ?? I guess I missed the first version ??

I'm gutted to have missed Boston qualifying by just 2 minutes - but pretty happy to have recorded a PB by almost 24minutes - not many distances do you get to improve by a margin like that - and finish in the top 10%

I'm going back to CO after Chrimbo but plan or running the STL 1/2 - is it accurately measured ??

Gordon Nicholson said...

I believe that STL is USTAF certified...flat and fast - wind is your only concern. Run sub 1:30 (40-44) and you qualify for NYC Full.

JM said...

Gordon, I'm toying with the idea of doing the ING Georgia Full (it would nicely fit my training schedule). Though, a few friends who have run it tell me it is hilly.

Cami said...

Congratulations again to everyone! That was a pretty impressive improvement, Swaz, and the way I see it, you will BQ in no time!

I am planning to run Myrtle Beach HM on my way to Boston.

sldotter said...

Congrats to all on a great run!
I am doing the riverfront half, charlie post 15k, messa 8k.
Has anyone put anymore thought into the palmetto 200?

Gordon Nicholson said...

John - I ran the the very first half course they had - rolling and tough long uphill near finish. Most of that is still in the full course I think. My gut tells me it will be a more challenging course than MCM. The crowds in the first part were great though.

I also hope to do the 5k Lifepoint at JICP - not a fast course but scenic and moving cause.

Palmetto 200?