Sunday, April 11, 2010

One Week To Go...

After a lengthy wait, here it is--Boston-- just around the corner. This training cycle has been a long one for me, but for a good reason: I needed to have all the pieces of the puzzle in one place. Everyone who runs marathons knows the importance of balance in training, diligence, and most importantly, consistence. Every workout builds on another; long runs are…long, tempos are tough and occasionally do not go as planned (like before CRB for me). Fartleks are meant to avoid the “marathon shuffle.” While I am definitely not an expert in any of them, I have learned when to push myself and when to back off and let the body recover.

My three (short) years of competitive running have taught me as much as (or perhaps more than) my 15 plus years of practicing my profession. They have taught me about seeing the body as a marvellous gift, discipline, and self control. I learned how to deal with the successes and the inevitable setbacks. God knows, they were all reflected in this training cycle.

I have had enough time to reflect after my last weekend’s 24-mile run, as I have lain on the floor completely exhausted and with my Achille tendons “trashed.” Somehow, thanks to Rusty, I have emerged from the despair of thinking that all of this work can be ruined in an instant.

I had an awesome fast finish 12-miler today—the kind of run that ties together every effort, every tempo, fartlek or hill repeats one could run during the marathon training.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The fate of the marathon is unpredictable, but I know I am as ready as I can be when the day comes.

Thanks again to all my running buddies for all their support—I had fun while running with you. Thanks, Blair for patiently waiting for me following our long runs and providing transportation.

Good luck to everyone running Boston. Have fun!

2 comments:

Gordon Nicholson said...

Best of luck Cami I know you will do great because you have trained so hard! We are all proud of you!

JM said...

Go get 'em, Cami! You've done the work. I know you'll do well. Run hard, run smart!