Saturday, February 13, 2010

Canceled?!

The City of Myrtle Beach issued a public statement canceling the Myrtle Beach Marathon (click here). There is no mention on the marathon website (that I can find) of a reschedule date or time. I'm surprised that they couldn't negotiate a delayed start since the high will be close to 40.

There's another big shoe that needs to drop here: refunds. Keep in mind that the entry waiver states that they are in no way obligated to issue refunds for any reason (even cancellation), but they realize that this will create bad P.R. I can't imagine that they have the funds to issue refunds (most of it would have gone to t-shirts and venue and vendor deposits which are probably non-refundable) unless they purchased event insurance that covers a weather cancellation. If they choose to transfer everyone's entry to next year, they will still have a cash flow problem, as that will limit next year's income. Yikes.

My condolences to our buddies who trained so hard and made the trip only to be turned away at the last minute. This really stinks.

5 comments:

Cami said...

Major bummer. I am beyond frustration. To vent it, I will likely run a time trial tomorrow; this cancellation ruined a lot of plans for me. See you guys soon.

sldotter said...

Sorry to hear the news. I don't think I have ever heard of a canceled marathon. go figure! What is on the calendar for tomorrow?

sldotter said...

Sorry to hear the news. I don't think I have ever heard of a canceled marathon. go figure! What is on the calendar for tomorrow?

Cami said...

I have signed up for 26.2 with Donna (Jacksonville, FLA) next Sunday; meet you at the Colonial Lake tomorrow.

Swaz said...

I don't think I've heard of a cancelled run, either - sorry Cami